Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Whole house surge protetion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENG2009

Electrical
Jun 12, 2009
US
I'd like to look into whole-house surge protection. Are there some types of systems I should stay away from? I'd appreciate and tips or advice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The best form of surge protection I've seen involves a high energy MOV arrester in the meter base which many utilities install for a monthly fee. This is supplemented by individual surge protectors for TVs, microwave ovens and computers.

The two stage approach relies on the large block arrester taking the bulk of the energy and the end use devices handling the lighter duty surges that remain.

The appliances that I listed are the one most frequently damaged by lightning. Many other appliances today can be protected by MOV devices that go between the power cord and the outlet.

magoo2 is on the money in my opinion.

If your utility does not provide the MOV help and you would like to get a whole-house unit, I have found Ditek to be a reliable company. I'm not affiliated with them, but I used to distribute commercial and industrial grade products of theirs.

If you're in the US, your local Home Depot has a nice selection of devices for the appliance end, plug-strips and single-outlet protectors.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Dang, I hit submit by accident again.

Last comment -- beware of shysters, snake oil salesmen, and anyone selling capacitors as energy-saving and surge-protecting devices. I'm sure there are other good companies in addition to Ditek, and they will have good engineering support for your application.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Usually those power strips have like an idiot light that says the device has been tripped. I believe it means that the mov protection has taken some energy from a power surge and is probably bad at this point in time. So just be aware if your appliance survives the power surge, its probably not going to survive the next one if you dont replace the device or reset it (have not seen ones that reset, so this is probably not an option). I beleive the cheap ones have to be replaced at that point when the light comes on.

One thing to consider. You need all the copper going through the protection. There is nothing that can stop a transient completely. So, a certain voltage may get through, but putting all the copper through the protector ensures the voltages between the different copper wires stay within safe limits with respect to each other.

A whole house protector is not a complete answer. It dosen't help with surges developed inside the home. So smaller surge protectors are needed in the home.

It is also possible to have lightning on or at the service entrence, which a hole house protector also can't handle. So insurance is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back