Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Why API equipments are defined to 20 years life? What are the limits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2012
MY
Why API equipments are defined to 20 years life? What are the limits?
image_2023-06-11_184409101_fradao.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are they?

Where does it say that?

What are 'API" equipments?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Large process industries have a long-term approach to their construction and operation. There are all kinds of machinery and systems involved, both electrical and mechanical. In general, the process operations can be upgraded (or downgraded) over a period of time depending on demand - with or without replacing specific equipment. Given the cost and physical size of some of the larger elements (motors in the tens of thousands of HP, for example) as well as the time to build a new one, the intent is to have them last a good long time.

For modern process lines, what is being done today will not be what is being done five to eight years down the road. The return on investment is important to the accountants, so they usually look for two or three iterations before starting a new capital project. So - (five years) x (three process changes) = 15 years useful life. (eight) x (three) = 24 years useful life. Average around 20 years or so.

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

I don't know what we are talking about exactly but the OPs graphic says 20 yrs minimum...

Regards

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

I dont know either as the OP rarely responds to posts....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back