Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Why do a bare fixture eval?

Status
Not open for further replies.

floattuber

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2006
US
We run aerospace parts ranging in size from baseball size up to 1000 pound engines on our shakers. Some customers want to do a bare fixture evaluation and some don't. I've heard some reasons to do it and some reasons for why it's a waste of time but I haven't been able to really delve into it and decide for myself.

So if you do a bare fixture eval you find all the natural frequencies of the fixture. I got that. But as soon as you put the test unit on there, you've changed the natural frequencies, so what did you gain by doing the bare fixture eval?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree that it's of marginal utility. In fact, a top-heavy UUT can cause a conventional slip table to rock on the oil film, thereby inducing a resonance that does not exist with either UUT or table by themselves. We once wasted a couple of weeks because of that. We had to contract with a completely different testing facility that had a hydrostatic bearing table to complete the testing.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Ok thanks for validating my thoughts.

Greg, the best response that I've heard so far is that bare fixture response is close enough to real test conditions and fixing any resonances in the region of interest is better than doing nothing.

floattuber,

Could it be a QA check to ensure the fixture was designed properly?

If the mount fixture has a mode within your test range, it has to be re-designed.

--
JHG

We used to do fixture qualification tests with dummy masses. This was for aerospace "one off", expensive hardware, i.e. breaking the flight hardware due to a test fixture problem would not be good for the company or customer. Bare fixture tests were usually done too, just because we could, but I don't recall any useful information being generated as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back