Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Why does API 653 prohibit lap patches on shells >1/2" thickness.

Andrew63411

Mechanical
Jul 30, 2024
US
Section 9.3.2.1 of API 653 prohibits any lap patches on the shell for shell thicknesses greater than 1/2". I am trying to understand why because a co worker of mine thinks it will solve our issues but there would be a reason API 653 prohibits it. I do not have to follow API 653 but i have to have good reasoning and some engineering to back up that its a good decision otherwise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think it is becasue if your large, expensive, high capacity vessel has a hole in it the enigneers who wrote API 653 think should put a butt-welded patch in it and not fool around with lap patches that have a low joint efficiency as well as load path and/or other issues. Trying to guess why a standard is written is a tough path to go down.
The cost savings is simply not worth the risk. If you don't follow API 653 and there is a failure you and your boss can have fun standing in front of the judge and tell them why you chose not to follow the standard but instead save some money while endangering the environment and surrounding comunity.

Back