Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Why does my post keep getting deleted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiversideME

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2018
US
I have posted a "Basic Arduino motor control system" thread twice now in Electrical Engineering general discussion which gets replies, and a back and forth, then boom its gone. I am pretty sure I am meeting the guidelines... What am I doing wrong?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I could see that if it had been moved to hobbies or if a request to continue there was made but this is more like glitch as the work the participants put into it has been lost.

Bill

Your Arduino post is not being accepted as a question posted by a professional engineer in relation to his professional work which is what Eng-Tips was created for.

I am in no position to know what Eng-Tips was created for, and I don't dispute your assertion, but I'd posit that a great deal of latitude has been granted in these manifold fora showing considerable variance from such an origin, i.e. in my case the fact that I have not been unceremoniously booted from these fora due to my not being a professional engineer.

I believe 3DDave has it right, viz. that there should be no issues with such a post in the "Engineers With Hobbies" forum; I have posted numerous personal interest queries there and never been given the bum's rush for it.

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

The topic of non-engineers (and their posts) being allowed in the Hobbies forum has been discussed several times. If memory serves, the current (and past) guideline is "If they're not (or never have been) a practicing engineer, it's a no go." This is to sharply reduce the tidal wave of non-engineers that would invariably eventually flood the Hobbies forum once the flood gates are opened.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

crshears; Have you demonstrated a level of competency and contributed to ET over time before violating the 'no hobby posts' rule?

You've contributed more than a thousand responses over 7 years and work in an engineering capacity.. Of course not!

If you lobbed a hobby question into a regular forum you might be nudged or poked and directed to the hobby forum. As a new member signed up this week, you'd probably be seen as someone who's not following guidelines and get your post wiped. Used to be you'd be kicked out and not allowed back but it's a little softer here lately.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Thanks for the slack you [all] cut me, Keith; I appreciate it, and the kinder, gentler ET that results.

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

So as a young engineer who hasn't proven an ability to add value to the community I guess I should kick rocks or try the hobby forum? At first, I thought it was a glitch so I tried re-posting because I didn't get a "hey your post doesn't belong here" which would have been nice so I didn't waste my time or the folks time who replied.

I think the hobbies forum is more intended for long-term eng-tips members who have already established themselves on the site.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back