Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why don't chips curl when the cutting process is simulated using the CEL method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nir_k

Mechanical
Apr 13, 2021
TW
Hello everyone, I am doing a simulation of orthogonal metal cutting process using CEL method. To make sure the simulation is better, I found a very good SCI paper for reference, but unfortunately I didn't reproduce the perfect chip simulation in the author's paper, the picture below shows the setup of my simulation and the simulation in the paper. (The parameters of material properties of workpiece, parameters of constitutive model and mesh size are exactly the same as those in the paper.) May I ask why the chips in my simulation are not curled normally and form serrated chips? Are there other settings in the CEL simulation that I am not aware of? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
paper link:
ask_tgiu85.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's a matter of physics - chip curling and segmentation occur naturally depending on the material properties and process conditions (cutting speed, depth and so on). So make sure those are correctly modeled in your case. Also, look for anything that isn't taken directly from the research paper but assumed by you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back