Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is ASTM A694 F65 steel not listed in ASME II Part D? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaboche

Mechanical
Jun 11, 2007
GB
Why is ASTM A694 F65 not listed in the allowable stress tables of ASME II? As far as I know this is a standard material used for flanges.

I wanted to perform some calculations on a bolted flange connection. The material is specified as ASTM A694 F65. I was reluctant to use the alternative approach listed in ASME II Appendix 1, since there may be other reasons why this material isn't listed.

Thanks for your help, any comments are welcome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why is ASTM A694 F65 not listed in the allowable stress tables of ASME II? As far as I know this is a standard material used for flanges.

1. The only reason I can think of that this material is not endorsed by Section II is because there has not been use or need for it in boiler/pressure vessel service.

2. Take a look at ASME B16.5. I found no such material as being standard material.

Hi metengr, thanks very much for your comments.

The flange that I am looking at is an offshore compact SPO flange, I have now found alternative design rules in NORSOK L-005. Annex D of the NORSOK code gives structural capacity ratings, stated to be in accordance with ASME VIII Div 2 App 4 & 6.

ASTM A694 Grade F52 is listed in the NORSOK code as a typical material, however grade F65 is not. I couldn't find any mention of ASTM A694 in ASME boiler and pressure vessel code. I'm pretty confident F65 is used for ANSI/API flanges. Someone else may be able to confirm this?

Mr. Chaboche,

I can confirm that the F65 material is videly used for flanges, hubs and other forged shapes. The ASTM standard gives you material values (see my thread for moore data regarding strength).
The material is not listed, thus you need to treat it as "non listed material" (do not know all details for this approach).
We've used this material in combination with both ASME B31.8 & ASME BVP VIII div.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back