Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is part geometry a .jpg in Pro-E created .dwg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungMfg

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2009
US
Hi,

I have a customer who sent me a .dwg print for a part he created in Pro-E. I have no experience with Pro-E and he is new to it, so hopefully one of you can help.

The problem is that the part itself is a .jpg. Everything else (dim's, title block) are regular vector lines. Is there some setting he needs to change to get the part to insert as vector lines and not a .jpg?

I hope that made sense! Thanks for any help.

-schmidty

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First of all, let's figure out what software you are both using. A .dwg file is an AutoCAD file, not a Pro/E file. So are you opening this file in Pro/E (which is possible within limitations) or are you using AutoCAD or something else?

Second, the only way a Pro/E drawing would contain a jpeg file is if it was imported into the drawing. In that case it sounds like your customer has not actually modeled anything, just stuck a picture in. One of you is going to have to do the hard work of making a useful model and drawing. It is possible to use a jpeg in Pro/E as a guide to create useful geometry but there is no way to ensure it is actually geometrically correct.

Sorry, yes, I am using AutoCAD. My customer is using Pro-E and exporting the print as a .dwg.

I understand what you are saying about the jpeg. I suspected that they have a picture of a part, and just brought it into Pro-E, put a title block and border around it and then dimmensioned the part features as close as they could by eye. But, not knowing Pro-E, I thought I would get some advice as to what may be going on here.

Thanks for your help. As you said, one of us will have to do the hard work of actually modeling the part. We'll see who it is!

Thanks again!

there are some raster to vector conversion programs... some freebies too.

they will only do 2d and are a bit ....choppy

google it and see what you can get ... see if it will get you closer to the end results you need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back