Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why Mfg increase HRC fuse breaking capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

NM13

Electrical
Jul 30, 2008
Recently Siemens has increased the 415 V HRC fuse breaking capacity to 120 KA, Why it happens??

As a end user how we can choose right breaking capacity for 415 V system ?? particulraly for 415 V Motor Feeders.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Breaking capacity of a fuse has to be higher than your prospective maximum fault current, not matched to it. I would wary at the prospect of using, say, a BS88 fuse with an 80kA breaking capacity on a circuit with an 80kA fault level. The chances are nothing bad would happen, I just avoid taking things right up to the limit wherever possible.

Siemens are likely adapting to market demand for higher breaking capacities as LV fault levels get higher, especially in Europe and in the European sphere of influence where LV fault levels have typically been lower than the equivalents in North America. IIRC, 200kA breaking capacity isn't unusual for North American fuses.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back