Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Why uses ETAB or SAP2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozziz

Structural
Jul 20, 2005
AU
If ETAB and SAP2000 is produced by same company why 2 different softwares? whay don't they emerged into one. The reason I am asking is can I also use ETAB to design a medium span portal frame? What would be the difference in output? I was shown the steel design output is very brief - just a summary. They did not show any calculation of braced length, and k factors

Can ETAB good in designing slabs especially flat slabs and also slender columns under biaxial bending/

Apologise for my ignorance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ozziz

Both are finite element programs, but while Sap2000 is a general purpose finite element package, ETAB is specific. It was developed specially to simplify modelling of common building type structures(consisting of floors, beams, columns, shearwalls, usually steel or concrete). Sap2000 is more general, model any element in any material, in any configuration.

To produce similar results from either software, you simply have to fully know the way each works and model accordingly.

Merging them? Wont the learning curve become a long mild ramp? It will probably be like facing a menu at a fancy coffee shop and you have to choose for all your friends.

respects

ijr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back