Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wide Bi-stable Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatstrow

Materials
Aug 3, 2018
US
I'm looking for a bi-stable spring or furlable tube that are similar to those old slap wrist bracelets but a lot wider, essentially to form a tube/sheet about 7 - 8" long and have an id of .25". Is this possible, what are the mechanisms behind how these are manufactured? I get that its something to do stressing the material to shape but where can i find information on designing the width, diameter, and other characteristics of the "spring" or furable tube.

I was trying to find any information on these but can't seem to find anything useful

Thanks for all your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So... You want something that, when it's flat, measures 8"x(something) and when it's rolled up measures 8" long x 1/4" ID? I don't actually have experience with that, but just intuitively I'm pretty doubtful that you'll get it at those dimensions.

Tangentially, have you seen what's inside slap bracelets? Lots of 'em were made from recycled tape measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back