Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wide flange/welded stud & multi ply side nailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

shacked

Structural
Aug 6, 2007
US
Please refer to the attached detail for reference.

A client wants to remove an existing 1st floor wood stud bearing wall supporting a floor, roof & wall above at their house. They want a 22ft clear opening into a new room without a drop beam. Existing 2x10 floor joists, so I check a W8x67 wide flange with a 22ft clear span and assume no intermediate lateral support. The beam checks out but since they do not want a drop in their ceiling I am trying to make a wood side nailer work to support the floor.

I check the allowable wood crushing perpendicular to grain using NDS for 5/8" dia & 3/4" dia welded studs, my question:
Wouldn't the dowel bearing length using multiple 2x wood side nailers be the total width of the 2x's stacked together?​
Using the allow shear for a bolt assuming a single 2x as the main member seems pretty conservative.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=440a2d01-5263-4672-aaa9-abb4e3812d25&file=BM_DETAIL.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The load goes to the outer most ply first. If you want to count on the rest of the nailer for bearing you would do well to ensure that the interconnection between the plies is sufficient to spread the load over all the plies.

I often do this locally, i.e. I will show a detail where the hanger is and callout a certain number of fasteners in the vicinity of the hanger.

One could perhaps also justify a distributed connection between the plies.

You could also just ensure that the web filler is packed out for tight bearing if you can take the floor load into the bottom flange of the beam.

dL said:
You could also just ensure that the web filler is packed out for tight bearing if you can take the floor load into the bottom flange of the beam.

That one, all day long. I don't feel that it's appropriate to assume that the laminating bolts are resisting any of the shear. They could only resist shear if:

1) They were cantilevered from a very thick beam flange somehow or:

2) One relied on a pretty aggressive strut and tie scheme whereby sag in the bolts puts them in tension and the packing in compression. And that same sag would surely bring the packing into bearing anyhow.

Definitely make the web filler packed tight. I think most good framers will do that anyway, but with W12 or smaller beams it's super easy to get 2x12's or 10's or 8's and rip them to fit.

I always feel like you're asking for trouble if you don't do that. These aren't like flitch beams where you only have 1 ply on the outside.

The alternate to this is using top flange hangers. I spec them quite often and you can either weld (high loads) to the top flange or use PAF's if you can't use a top flange nailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back