Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

width-to-thickness ratio requirement for highly ductile members (Table D1.1 of seismic provision)

Status
Not open for further replies.

compe_ad

Civil/Environmental
Apr 20, 2022
US
Hi all! Lets say I have a beam element (assume similar to reduced beam section) which will be under compression so it has to meet table D1.1 for high ductile member. I am thinking since whole member will be in compression I need to satisfy this requirement at both section cut A and B (see fig). Obviously, it satisfies at the reduced section (region where inelasticity will occur) and it doesn't satisfy at other section (elastic region). Is this okay or does this requirement has to satisfy throughout the length? Please provide me your suggestion and references if any.
fig_xmnv6a.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In AISC 358-16, the chapter on Reduced Beam Sections (chapter 5) says:
section 5.3.1 item (6) said:
When determining the width-to-thickness ratio of the flange, the value of bf shall not be taken as less than the flange width at the end of the center 2/3 of the reduced section provided that gravity loads do not shift the location of the plastic hinge a significant distance from the center of the reduced beam section.

So, the code definitely has a "liberalization" of that element slenderness requirement at the reduced section. But, it is a minor reduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back