Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wildfire 3 in Windows 7 Home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCLogan

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2011
US
thread554-265981

In the referenced thread, 'looslib' says that Wildfire 3 should work in Windows 7 "as long as you are NOT running the home version of Windows...". Why can it be run on the professional version of Windows, but not the home version?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are things that MS has turned off in the home version that Pro/E may require to run.
If you can find ALL the registry settings and added sub-programs and enable them, then it should work in Win7 home the same as Win7 Pro.

It actually may work in Win7 home without doing anything, but PTC does not certify Win7 home as a valid OS.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Thanks for the response. I am no good at fixing computer problems. I did as the earlier thread discussed, and copied the entire 'proeWildfire 3.0' folder from 'Program Files' on an old computer running XP Pro to a new computer running 7 Home, and when I try to start the program, an error message says: "No write access to C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 3.0\bin, choose another directory for trail creation." Whatever I enter, it can't find the license. Any suggetsions will be much appreciated.

The Pro/ENGINEER licenses are HOST ID or computer specific and cannot be copied from PC to PC because the license file refers to that specific pc.

The actual identifier used by the license is the Ethernet Card's Physical address which you can find by doing the following.
1) Launch Run command, Start > Run or Win & R
2) Type cmd Enter (this will launch the DOS shell cmd.exe)
3) When the command window comes up type
ipconfig /all |more
(The info you need will display first, "|more" shows resulting info in multiple sections instead of all at once,Hit space to see more )

You'll need to request a new license for each machine or Ethernet Card you use.

The physical address reffered to as is made up as 12 alpha-numeric characters in six groups of 2 sepatrated by -
Physical Address. . . . . . . "??-??-??-??-??-??"

This will be shown in the license file typically called license.dat and located in the text\licensing\ folder
C:\Program Files\ProENGINEER Install Directory\text\licensing\license.dat

PTC_HOSTID=??-??-??-??-??-?? will be included in the license.dat file and if that is not the Ethernet Card's ID the license will not work.

You should be able to resolve this by calling Tech Support or your Software Reseller.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back