Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wildfire drawing dimensioning settings? (hard to grab and drag) 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeAdkins

Mechanical
Jun 24, 2008
US
I have been using wildfire since 2005 when I started my first job. I have recently taken a new job at a different company but still using wildfire.

When I am creating a drawing it is very, very, very difficult to grab and drag a dimension for better placement. I have the same issue with BOM balloons, and notes.

I do not have this issue when I am in sketcher mode modeling a part or when I am in any other program.

I never had this issue when I was at my last job.

All that leads me to believe that this is an issue with a setting and not “just the way pro/e is”

Anyone know what I can try? I have always used the default settings so I don’t even know were to start.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, after clicking on the dimension to activate it and the 4 point arrow appears still have the issue.

I know HOW to move dimensions and such around, it us just really hard now and it was not at my last job.

That is why I think it is a set up issue.

Try checking your grid_snap option and making sure it's set to "no". Maybe the reason you can't move items is because they're trying to snap to a really wide grid.

3dlogix thanks for the tip. I had to play with the pointer radius a little to get it working well. If you make it too big everything gets selected and too small you can't select anything… that would seem to be self explanatory but it ranges from unusably large to unusably small.

(I don’t think ‘unusably’ is a real word but it works for me)

For anyone that is interested the config setting is "pick_aperture_radius" I found that "5" worked best for me.

Combining both 3dlogix and mburlone grid snap suggestions seemed to work great. Thanks both of you stars all around.

There was a problem in the past regarding Microsoft Mouse. The PTC artcle is here:

Below is the verbage from ptc tech support:

Type TAN
Created Date 21-Apr-2006
Last Updated 11-Apr-2007
Title Selection with a Microsoft Intellimouse using a USB port can be unreliable.
Details Description
Selection within the model and/or drawing can be cumbersome when using a Microsoft Intellimouse with a USB port. The mouse may double click when the user only single clicks.

Resolution
This issue is resolved in Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0 M220.

Alternate Technique
Use a PS/2 port adapter or any other mouse aside from the Microsoft Intellimouse.

seymours your solution worked best. We are currently running Wildfire 2.0 M160 so I don't have the patch. I switched to a Logitech wireless mouse and it is a breeze. Thanks

JakeAdkins,

Thanks, I've been struggling with this same issue and could never find the right aperture radius size that worked best. "5" seems to be much better now for me as well. Was starting to think I was retarded or something ;)

Dale DiSalvo
Sr. Mechanical Designer
Pro-E WF3.0
Missourian = Shut Up And "SHOW ME"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back