Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will a better video card speed up performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiftersteve

Industrial
Apr 21, 2006
US
Just bought and loaded solidworks 07. My PC is a Pentium IV 3.9 GHz, 1 Gig Ram, Windows XP. Assemblies with approx 30-50 parts seem to be able to manipulated pretty quickly, BUT modeling the parts in 2d sketching seems VERY slow. (having to wait for dimension lines to catch up to my mouse movements etc) I ordered a SW approved ATi Fire GL series video card and am anxious to see if it really speeds up the process. Does an approved video card really make a big difference in the 2d sketching? According to SW, my PC meets the standards. What can I expect with an approved CAD speficic video card?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would get another gig of RAM. 2 gigs of memory helped our SolidWorks speed by a noticable amount. The system has more head room to work.

Also if you are on Service Pack 2 of Windows XP I would turn on the 3 Gb switch.

Regards,

Anna Wood
SW06 SP4.1 x64, WinXP x64
Dell Precision 380, Pentium D940, 4 Gigs RAM, FX3450

An approved video card may not necessarily be faster, but it will definitely be more capable & stable ... providing you use the correct driver.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back