Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will a rail job help me get a structural job later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokki

Civil/Environmental
Oct 26, 2006
US
Hi everyone,

I'm a civil grad with no experience. Eventually I'd like to go into structural but I've been looking for 2 months with no luck. I recently received an offer for a transportation position doing alignment, drainage and other rail stuff. Right now I have no other offer and I don't know if I should take this job. Would this job help me in getting a structural position later? The two are unrelated so I don't think it'd make much difference, except I'd have some work experience... If it doesn't help me with getting a structural position, should I take it? I'm afraid that I'd be setting my career direction into transportation and I wouldn't be able to go into structural later. Any opinion on this? Please help! Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does the job sound interesting to you? Is it an engineering (as opposed to drafting) job - will you be able to count it as expereince towards your PE?

If the answer to all those is yes I suggest that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Moving sideways into your preferred area of interest is much easier than finding the perfect job when unemployed.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

tokki.. if you want to do design work eventually.. either go back to school (structural emphasis) or just find a drafter position at a structural engineering firm. It wont pay like engineers but at least you will be able to find design job later (either at the same company or somewhere else).

If you do it other way then you will get a pay cut later.

Find out from the firm that gave you an offer whether they have a structural discipline inhouse. Many firms doing transportation work have inhouse structurals doing transportation related facilities such as maintenance buildings or stations/bridges.

Pure structural design firms and A/E with inhouse structurals alike have entry level engineers with civil background. That's how most structural engineers start out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back