Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will be interesting to see where this goes - Aluminum 3D printing (non-laser)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This technology has been around for a few years on a larger scale, but this smaller scale is crude. Not sure what application this would be used for.
I hope the resolution and cost can be improved soon.

Chris, CSWP
SolidWorks '16
ctophers home
SolidWorks Legion

Pretty cool, basically looks like it lets you build up equivalent to a conventional casting with homogeneous material unlike alternatives that fuse particles together.

I'm thinking some limitations on geometry as you maybe don't get to play some of the games with supporting structure etc.

However, very cool I've always been a bit skeptical on 3D printing based how far we need to go until we can get material options with good properties cost effectively but this might be getting closer.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I would think there would have to be shielding involved. Their website is not a trove of information at this point.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

The spec sheet mentions the required foot print allows for Argon gas tanks - I know because I went digging around as the same question was bugging me btrue!

bture, I think there is a commercial version of building parts by welding (metal FDM I suppose) - or at least it's in development. I think an early post in this forum may have referenced it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back