Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will nickel in low alloy still cause quenching crack 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pktong

Materials
Dec 31, 2002
MY
Hi.

I experience a major reject in my company in low alloy steel due to water quenching crack. The nickel content at that time was 2.2%.

After I reduced the nickel content to 1.7%, the quenching crack problem solve.

Is there any reason too high nickel in the low alloy steel will lead to quenching crack?

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Quench cracking is the result of high stresses due to the volume changes accompanying transformation from austenite to martensite. Nickel has a dramatic effect on hardenability, increasing it substantially when present in amounts greater than ~ 1%. Increasing hardenability produces greater amounts of martensite, and therefore can produce larger amounts of distortion and quench cracking.

The tendency for increasing amounts of cracking correlates well with decreasing M[sub]s[/sub] (martensite start) temperature and increasing carbon equivalent (C.E.). Increasing the amount of nickel decreases the M[sub]s[/sub] temperature and raises the C.E., so quench cracking is more likely in steel alloys with higher nickel levels.

But it is not just the nickel level! All alloying elements which can influence hardenability need to be considered, manganese, silicon, chromium, molybdenum, copper, vanadium and boron are powerful influences.
ASTM A 255 is a useful document to read to understand the influence of the different alloying elements on hardenability.

Nickel addition at higher levels imparts better mechanical properties. I would advise to continue maintain the same Ni content, but reduce the severity of quenching like polymer quenching and still obtain the properties minus the quench cracks and distortion. Please give this a try and let us know your observations. Happy quenching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back