Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

will no one answer my questions???must be too tough for you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmox

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2002
I must find the hardest questions to ask, as i hardly ever get a reply. ( see other posts jan 23 )
New question.........How to get rid of a bogus reference in IV8.

I was sent a solid from another program converted to Inventor. It was in my assembly as "derived body yadayada" and life was good. I was able to put holes and constrain items to it etc. The part then needed to be modified and there were some issues, i think because the body was made up of faces. So i re-drew the part, re-inserted into my assembly as a new name and blew away the "body" file.

Since then i have added easily several hundred items and constrained them. When i open the model, it asks for the location of the deleted file and i skip it. The model opens as i expect. There is no reference to the "body" anywhere in the browser. In preparation for creating the drawing i opened design assistant, changed file names etc. I looked again for the reference and found nothing.

Now that i am trying to create the drawing, the program tells me that i have to resolve this drawing, and specifically the file reference to the "body" before it can continue.

Please help me. I will loose many days worth of work if i have to re-build these hundreds of parts into a new model.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is a toughy; how do you deal with a bug?

I remember seeing this come up several times in Adsk groups, don't remember a resolution.

Something you might try (aside from asking in the company forum); create an entity of same name and resolve the missing ref with it. Rebuild All, delete and save. Not sure if it'll work but might be worth a try.

Stumbled over this; might help ...

Inventor Ghosts References to Files
(Applies to:Inventor 8)

Autodesk has released a fix for an issue that was discovered with some assembly files maintaining a reference to a part no longer associated to the assembly. This fix does not repair any files already affected by this problem, it will just prevent the problem from occurring in the future within Inventor 8. Migrating the affected files forward into Inventor 9 will repair it

Download the 6MB patch from download.autodesk.com/prodsupp/downloads/TS100797.zip

When you deleted the file did you remove it from the assembly or did you just delete the file itself? If you deleted the file itself without removing the reference in the assembly, Inventor will keep looking for the file and of course wont be able to find it. If the assembly is still referencing the "body" file and it has been deleted from your computer you can try to fool the program by telling it to use a different part instead of the body file, any part will suffice. You will do this when it asks you for the location of the missing file. This will most likely cause some errors due to contraints that don't work anymore and the like, but you can then delete the new part from the browser and this should cause things to go back to normal. Let me know if this makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back