Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will rubber damping increase with compressive force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMarsh

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2011
IN
Hi,

I have a neoprene rubber sheet mounted on a structure. I am getting FRF using impact hammer testing and measuring damping through half power point method.

When I compress this rubber sheet with two different loads I am getting different damping values. Higher compressive load gives more damping.

I am finding it difficult to explain it with a scientific reason.

Thinking one way this looks contradicting - high compressive force reduces the internal molecular motion possible thereby should offer less damping. Is this right?

Any thoughts on this will be highly appreciated.

Kind regards
Geoff

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on how the load is applied - does deflection of the structure cause relative displacement between the load application device and the structure itself? If so, then varying shear loads are created within the rubber, and damping results. Google "constrained layer damping".

Thanks btrueblood. This answers the question! Yes, the structure is vibrating and loading is applied at an angle causing possible shear forces in the rubber.

Kind regards

In general "rubber" damping will be dependent on steady load, temperature, frequency and amplitude of dynamic load and others. To add to the head scratching these dependencies will in turn be dependent on the type of "rubber" - i.e., neoprene, natural rubber, nitrile, silicone, etc. and furthermore, the damping will be further dependent on the filler type, % loading and curing system.

Keeping the rubber sheet the same obviously eliminates the last 2 groupings of dependencies.

Good Luck.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back