Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will there be an IDEAS v13

Status
Not open for further replies.

namklof

Structural
Mar 3, 2007
US
With UGS planning to do away with IDEAS, it leaves me wondering if there will be another version put out (i.e. version 13)? If so, do you have an approximate release date? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Helo,

i'm also wonder, if theere will be 13th version.
It up to SIEMENS, i heard, SIEMENS bought UGS ..:(

cad - designer
i-deas 11nx sworks 2006 ug nx 4.0.0.25

IMB InteliStation M Pro

Nissan North America seems to believe there will be an I13 release, based on a conversation I had with them in December. Based on what I was told by Nissan, they do have plans to migrate at "some point in time" to NX, but they are planning on migrating to one last version of I-DEAS prior to the NX migration.

I'm not so sure that NX (formerly UG) has implemented all of the functions from I-DEAS that UGS plans on adding. However, that is pure speculation on my part and based on what I hear through the NX/PLM World grapevine.

I guess only time will tell....

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

I spoke with UGS last week. There is no further development of I-deas. In fact I am not sure that you can even purchase I-deas 12 any more.

I-deas can still be purchased, regardless of version.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Ford seem to think that there will be no next version before I-deas NX. They will stop using I-deas for newer projects and use Catia V5 instead

Update.....

There is going to be a NEW version of I-DEAS coming out, tentatively being called NX-IDEAS 5.

This announcement was made last week by UGS and confirmed by John Baker (a UGS employee) on the UGS BBSNotes board. Mr. Baker said the new I-DEAS version could be released as early as this week but did state he would have to confirm that to be sure.

Hope this clears up all the speculation.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

NX-IDEAS 5 is now available for download from the UGS GTAC site.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back