Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

William (Bill) Anders

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't help but ask, was he still able to keep his pilots license at age 90? There weren't many details about the accident, only that he was alone in the plane, but I did find this item on the net which seemed to imply that he was somehow doing some stunt flying (watch the video at the bottom of the page):

The plane itself, a Beechcraft A45 Mentor, is a civilian version of a Beechcraft T-34 military trainer, which were manufactured in the late 40's and the 50's.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

A commercial airline may consider the age of their pilots, due to employment regulations or laws, depending on the country.
You can do a lot of flying that isn't for commercial airlines.

Like his peers what an engineer...

On the subject of auld pilots... There are quite a few that keep a medical valid.

65 is the limit for public transport.

The oldest I few with 20 years ago as an instructor was in his late 80's. Nothing wrong with his skills but he did get tired after half an hour of circuit bashing.

Watch out or I will subject you to a mate of mine gluing the wing of a tiger moth and Niel Armstrong

A company I worked for, the Chief pilot retired from a National Airline at 60, and then spent the next 20 years being chief Pilot for a freight airline, before actually retiring from commercial aviation (No APTL age limit here).

Insurance costs can become a limiting factor and increase with age. A mentor was a part-time private commercial pilot, flying wealthy clients around the country for decades. At 70 the cost of insuring him jumped and basically made him unemployable for flying passengers. He's still an instructor and shuttles used planes for dealers.

There are no age limits for the pilots license but you do need to be able to get a medical. There are Class 1 2 & 3 medicals depending on the type of operations you fly. Now there is also basic med option which I would guess is roughly equivalent to a Class 3.

My posts reflect my personal views and are not in any way endorsed or approved by any organization I'm professionally affiliated with.

kontiki99 said:
My posts reflect my personal views and are not in any way endorsed or approved by any organization I'm professionally affiliated with.
That's an interesting signature/tagline for someone with an anonymous handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back