Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wind and insert winder

Status
Not open for further replies.

jag27

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2003
US
how much does a wind and insert winder cost ( ballpark)
what is the cheapest available winder in the market

what is the best winder for prototypes say 300-400 parts ( other than hand winding)
i need to find a winder /protype mfg co. for making 300-400 pieces

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

price varies widelybased on size and complexity.
Tell me more and I'll take a stab at it.

the stator od is 3"
id is 1.8

it is a 7 slot stator

You can of course spend as much as you want but I have frequently seen winders like that for 50-60K. Good used ones may be in the 30K or less range. Buyer beware though... many of the cheaper used ones have old controls for which there are no replacement parts available.

There is a different kind of low volume machine which is available for around 15K. Its slow though and isn't really suited for high production. Great for prototypes though.

even if you start with an inexpensive machine, consider tooling costs. They usually add another $10K to the cost.

If you aren't doing bunches and bnches of them (and sometimes if you are)it may make more sense to have them hand inserted.

Let me know if you have more questions.

thanks jclough

in the 50-60 k does that include tooling

what companies make them
where can i buy one or a used one

It wouldn't surprise me to find you could get a decent tooled winder for 50 -60K.

Sounds like you may want to contact Pease Windamatic or Micafil for a winder. ask for a used winder as they would rather sell you a new one. Used winders are kind of hit and miss as they sell quickly. Nice equipment though as the factory goes through and checks everything.

They'll need more information than what you supplied me with. THey usually lamination and core dwg's as well as some sample cores and wire.

What are you winding?

Hello jag27

You mention that you have about 300 or 400 motors to do.
If you spend 50 or 60k on a winder,it will cost you 150 to 200 Dl per motor just to pay for he winder.I don't know the cost of each motor, but for such a small size motor it shouldn't be terribly high.
Somebody suggested the Hand winding and I would go with it unless the economics are much different than I envision .
If the motors are all the same,it would be a snap to make all the coils.As for the insertion of same, it would be a great project for a couple of young kids.(with proper supervision they would be thrilled with the opportunity)
It brings to mind one such a deal that as a young man Myself and a friend decided to take up a contract to rewind (at home) blowers from Hairdriers for hair saloons.We soon found ourselves in big trouble, when the wire we used kept breaking all of the time.Wire the size of a Human hair and something like 200 or 300 turns per coil,it became a nightmare.The size of the wire is the clue for a manual job.

GusD

Suggestion: It may be a good idea to explore coil/motor winding service market if you do not have a 100,000 or more coils to wind

If you're planning on going the hand insert route,

I had a similar experience to that of GusD years ago. Somone dropped a servo stator on my desk and said (as they were walking away)"We need to get that thing fixed by Friday. We can make a lot of money on these." I'll bet I worked 1000 hours that week between figuring out what needed to be done, how to do it and making tooling.

Keep in mind that there are subtleties which may not be apparent to a first time winder/inserter. A contract assembly house probably isn't the answer.
If you're planning on going the hand insert route, contact me. I can probably fix you up there too. I know of a few decent winding houses.

whats the cost comparison?

for lets say 30000 pieces a year

Suggestion to the previous posting: The quality of winding should not be overlooked. It is good to have each coil neatly wound, one turn nicely sitting beside the other.

jag27, going back to your original post, is this a dc motor armature?

regarding the cost comparison fpr 30K/yr...I'll need to have some drawings.

Try Statomat-Globe or Odawara for winders. I know that they make armature winders. I would be suprised if they didn't make stator winders.
-Jay-

Jay Lehrbach

jbartos,

Regarding your comment about neatly would coils...

I did some experiments a couple of years ago with the layering of windings in a stator. I couldn't really see a difference between the random wound coils and the neatly layered ones. Do you have any data showing improved motor performance? I'd love a copy if you do. always looking for a competitive (sp?) endge.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back