Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wind and seismic loads 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

amith014

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2009
IN
Hi all,
I am doing FE analysis of horizontal pressure vessel.

The wind and seismic loads should be applied on the CG of the vessel.

As am doing FE analysis, if i apply the load on the CG where this point(CG node) should be connected.

If anyone is having files showing the load directions please send to me.

Thanks
sagar

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe I am naive, but doesn't it seem silly to perform a sophisticated analysis of the vessel (FEA) based on loadings that are "coarse" (applying the resultant loads at a single point)? The rough method of applying the loads seems not to be in the same league as the vessel analysis.

I feel the same as Tom. Sagar,to be frank, it sounds like you don't know how to do an FEA. You really should not do this unless you have studied the method well, like taken a theory course on it, and know what the results mean before you even attempt it. Anyone can get a nice colour stress plot from a software.

But if it would help, you should do the reaction caluclations by hand first and then apply the reaction loads to a specific region you're interested in.

too much of this these days.
FEA and all other programs are very useful, however rubbish in = rubbish out.
A manual hand calculation should be compulsory for all newbies before being let loose on the easy way out using the software.

Why use FEA to do this calculation?

All FEA should be checked by calcs., any company that knows what they are doing would have an FEA check list that requires hand calcs to confirm results.
Seismic loads are best applied as an acceleration, using the gravity function for both horizontal and vertical. Wind can be applied to a side or end, based on your calculations to relevant standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back