Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wind Anemometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

djw2k3

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2003
Hi there,

We are mounting a digital wind anemometer and I need some help determining sampling rate or time averaged data to get a true picture of the wind behaviour.

Data storage is obviously very cheap these days so vast volumes of data are relatively easily managed.

The goal is to keep a record of velocity (speed + direction) that will hopefully allow us to analyse gusts and ambient wind. We want to compare the winds to a the reaction of a system we are installing.

I would be very grateful to hear from [bigears] anyone who has done an installation and gathered data.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A friend of mine was producing anemometers for different purposes including software.
Try to e-mail to
Francelj.Trdic@FDSResearch.si
m777182

1) You need to sample fast enough to capture the flow changes you are looking for, ie. see to that you have enough measuring points to draw up a profile that is smooth. Only you know what you are looking for (how fast the gusts are changing measuring values from the steady state, etc.)
2) Maybe your anamometer is the limiting factor in your determination of the sampling rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back