Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wind effect on noise propagation

Status
Not open for further replies.

aesoton

Marine/Ocean
Sep 25, 2002
GB
Hello All,

Does anybody have a formula that would enable me to calculate the attenuation upwind of an noise source due to wind speed and distance? Similarily, enhancement of the noise level downwind.

Thanks
Andrew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Be careful when trying to use a formula for this that you don't have any interaction between the source and the wind.

For example, some years ago I learned that the noise level upwind of an exhaust pipe (when the wind is impinging directly on the open end of the pipe) is greater than the noise downwind.

Beranek has a plot, but the testing on which it is based seems rather obscure.

I've never thought about this before, but in a totally uniform wind field you might be able to apply the inverse square law, but measuring the "radial" distance from the moving generation point rather than from the actual stationary point.

However no wind field is uniform. In particular, the wind speed usually increases with height above the ground ("vertical wind shear"), and this effect tends to "focus" the sound waves onto ground-level points downwind. Similarly it also tends to "unfocus" the sound waves away from upwind ground-level points.

The severity of the vertical wind shear depends upon many factors, including the roughness of the terrain upwind of the point in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back