Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wind Farms Cause Climate Change 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how the article starts out with:
- "Wind farms can cause climate change, according to new research..."

and ends with:
- "Overall, the warming effect reported in this study is local and is small compared to the strong background year-to-year land surface temperature changes"

Journalism 101:
- Start out with an exaggerated, sensationalized statement. It really doesn't need to reflect anything truthful as long as it sounds cool!
- Slip in some actual facts, quotes by the researcher and excerpts from the paper at the end so our journalist integrity isn't questioned. Feel free to cherry pick these points to support your opening statement.
- End on conjecture. Make sure it is your own, unqualified, biased, sensationalized take on the research.
- As you haven't linked the abstract or even given the name of the paper anywhere in the article, very few people will question it.

And for good measure...

- Washington Post article that cleans up some of the misinformation

- Expanded quote from the article:
"Overall, the warming effect reported in this study is local and is small compared to the strong background year-to-year land surface temperature changes. Very likely, the wind turbines do not create a net warming of the air and instead only redistribute the air’s heat near the surface (the turbine itself does not generate any heat), which is fundamentally different from the large-scale warming effect caused by increasing atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases due to the burning of fossil fuels."

I strongly suggest you change the title of this post (I like how you even dropped the CAN out of "can cause climate change"...)

What can we find wrong with the redistribution of heat? If it works with money, why not with heat.

Because we measure the air tempeture at ground level, in locations where wind turbans exist, it might appear the earth is heating up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back