Wind load on decktop of floating vessels ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKJ25POL

Structural
Mar 4, 2011
US
Dear marine folks,
I am a structural engineer that recently been assigned to design a canopy/shed on top of a "Dock Barge".
I have dealt with structures on land but not floating objects like boats, ships and barges.
This is a river barge. I am trying to find appropriate code and source to get the wind load and other possible loads on the barge but unfortunately failed to find right and applicable code and reference.

Only what I found is ABS "Rules for Building and Classing - Steel Vessels for Service on Rivers and intercoastal waterways" which is NOT directing where we get the load especially the wind load to design a deckhouse.

I appreciate if anybody has a source or direction for me.
The barge is in a river in Illinios United States. I am looking for U.S. resources and applicable codes.
Curious when they design ships what wind load they use?

I am not trying to step on anyones toes by not being a marine engineer, just trying to complete my assignement.
Very much appreciate it for your kind assistance.

Sincerely,
Your Collegaue

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To be classed and approved by ABS, the rules u are using is right.
wind load is based on wind pressure and projection area of the subject strcture. u can refer to the rule 3-3-2/3.3.1 in page 122 for the formula of wind pressure. this formula applies to wind heeling moment and also apply to wind load calculation.

Dear Jason8zhu (Marine/Ocean),
Thank you for your response. By the chance do you have those pages on wind load u can attach?
I am not finding them.
If u like u can attach whole document since is free and okay to distribute

Thank you very much

P.S. Any handbook you know that they have an example or even just talked about it?

All of the ABS Rules and Guides may be downloaded free of charge from the ABS website at There is quite an extensive list of these publications, and some are updated yearly.

Since your barge is located inland, I don't see why you can't use the appropriate wind loadings and environmental factors for designing land structures for your geographic location according to the ASCE. The fact that your shed is plopped atop a barge should not matter, unless you also want it to be watertight for some reason.

Dear Noah58 (Marine/Ocean),
Thank you for your response. In general seems the marine/ocaen engineering fourm is not responsive as fast as other engineering fourms at Engtips.com

Anyways, I like to ask more explanian on the your statement of having the shed watertight, please.
So if they wanted watertight, how this requirement will affect the wind loading or in general the design of the shed or its connection to barge?

May I ask do you have any articles, book reference, handbooks, any helpful information?
Even your words/directions can help me tremendously.

Thank you so so much :)

In designing a watertight structure, you are more concerned with how much water pressure the structure must withstand, not so much the wind pressure, since water is much denser than air. Normal wind pressure is one thing, but if you want to design the shed to withstand and unusual wind event, say a tornado passing over the dock, then you'll have to take a look at high wind loadings and the differential pressures generated on the structure as a result.

I think you should get a copy of ASCE 7-10, "Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures". This guide will help you select the proper wind loadings for the region where the barge will go into service, along with other design loads and load combinations to investigate. (Sorry, I don't have a copy of this Guide."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back