Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wind loading in Buildings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahmed A. Alamin

Structural
Oct 28, 2019
SD
Hello everyone, i have a question regarding wind loads. Is linear static method of analysis always used in wind analysis? If not, what are the limitations?.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Ahmed

In normal circumstances linear static is fine, however when dealing with structures that are susceptible to dynamic effects (bridges or very tall slender structures) the wind loading needs to be looked at as a dynamic effect. The wind may cause resonance in the structure.

If you look at the tall steel chimneys used on a number of industrial industries you will see that the top section has a spiral section to it, this is used to avoid the effects of resonance. I think that it is not the stiffening effect of the spiral section but the way it influences the wind around the chimney.

There are other applications where mass dampers are added to cables and so forth to also assist with countering the effects of resonance induced by wind.

I have never had to design such structures for dynamic effects from wind, as I deal with heavy duty structures to resist dynamic loading from vibrating equipment and generally wind is the least of my issues. There should be a section in wind loading codes that deal with this aspect. I assume that someone else more knowledgeable in this could shed some insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back