Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wind Loading - Kzt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skazak

Structural
Jun 25, 2007
US
I am working up the design loads for a building on top of a hill in the middle of a plain.

In working up my Kzt value per ASCE 7-05 Fig 6-4, what exactly is the 'z' value used to calculate K3?

ASCE calls out z to be the "height above local ground level".

With my building at the top of the hill, will this result in z = H?

Followup question: If this is the case here is my problem. My hill is steep so that H/Lh > 0.5.

According to note #2, this means that I am to substitute 2H for Lh for my evaluation of K3.

This being the case, my K3 factor will be z/Lh => H/2H => 1/2

In other words, because my hill is steep, my K3 term can never get bigger then 0.14.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Skazak,

z is the height above the base of your building. (Local ground level is the base of your building.) Thus, K3 varies from bottom of bldg to top. For your case, with the steep hill, you calculate z/2H for various heights on your building, then use the values in the table, with linear interpolation between the values to obtain K3 for any or all locations above your bldg base. That value will get bigger than 0.14 for the lower reaches of your building height, and will get down to 0 at heights > 1.50* (2H) = 3.0*H.

Also from Note 2, use x/2H instead of x/Lh to determine K2.

Calculate Kzt according to the formulas in the code.

Hope this helps.

regards,

chichuck

chickuuck-

Are you sure about that? The sketch that accompanies figure 6-4 doesn't measure z from the base of the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back