Wind Loading on Canopies - NBCC 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar123

Structural
Jun 15, 2022
CA
Hello,

I am designing a canopy and I am seeking advice on how to apply my wind loading. From the 2020 NBCC, CL. 4.1.7.12 provides two sources of wind pressure, external wind pressure and net external wind pressure.

My question is how are these applied in my load combinations? Will my wind loading simply have both criteria?

For example:

external pressure = p
net external pressure = pnet

Load Comb 2: 1.25D + 1.5L + 0.4W = 1.25D + 1.5L + 0.4*(p) +0.4*(pnet)?

Any clarification/ advice would be appreciated

- Structural E.I.T

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=334ba97e-96c1-479d-b150-a53b426a9ffb&file=Screenshot_2023-11-07_100710.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My understanding is you would use the P from the separate upper and lower surface numbers from Figure 4.1.7.12-A for design of cladding and roofing attachment to the canopy itself.

You would then use Pnet from 4.1.7.12-B for the overall structural support of the canopy. Essentially Pnet is an addition of the two values in figure A with some reductions for the unlikelihood that it will be max on both surfaces at the same time.

@jayrod12 Thanks for your reply. Is there a clause or code that states the numbers from Figure 4.1.7.12-A are used for the design of cladding / roof attachment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back