Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wind modeling of a distillation column with guides?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandljm

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2007
US
A colleague has informed me (incorrectly I believe) that it is possible to model a distillation column with a guide (or guides) located along the length of the column for wind loading in Compress. I do not believe this is available in Compress. I think that I should use a beam modeling program to determine the loads at the skirt and at each guide location. The loads at the guide locations could then be analyzed by adding a clip to the vessel shell and performing a WRC 107 (or FEA) analysis. Your thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

chandljm,

I agree.

COMPRESS for Windows does not handle laterally braced vessels; ie: vessels braced by snubbers, guy wires, etc.

Because of the additional support for lateral loads the shear force and bending moment distribution determined by COMPRESS will not be accurate for vessels with additional lateral supports. Consequently, the required thicknesses of components as based on longitudinal stress will not be correct (they will likely be conservative).

Some people have attempted to specify lateral loads to counteract the wind load so that the net deflection at the support point is zero. However, this is not possible in COMPRESS. The program finds the vector resultant of all lateral loads, so specifying lateral loads would only serve to increase the total lateral load and deflection.

Tom Barsh
Codeware Technical Support

chandljm (Mechanical)

Paulin reserch Group FE-PIPE for guy wires solution:

contact support@paulin.com
Paulin Research Group
11211 Richmond Ave., Suite 109
Houston, Texas 77082 USA
281.920.9775 voice
281.920.9739 fax

Leonard Stephen Thill

Status