Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wind Speed and Pressue Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

lot

Mechanical
Mar 31, 2001
US
I'm looking for numbers to verify the design of a valve/flange that a process instrunment is mounted on. The instrument will be used in refinery applications sitting as high as 150 feet in the air mounted on the valve/flange on a process pipe. What wind speed and pressure should I use to verify the design? Thanks for any info.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, actually this will depend upon a lot of factors, the most important of which is the location on the Earth: in areas prone to hurricanes & such, the design wind speed will be greater than in a protected bay. You ought to get wind speed data from the local meterological department (of course at the elevation of 150 m above the surface as required by you). You could take a "return period" of 50 years, i.e. the max. wind that could be expected in 50 years time. Finally, the design wind pressure (N/m2) is about 0.6*design wind speed (m/s), to be applied in the form of an antisymmetric cosine distribution on the pipe/flange. This is what I get from the Indian code of practice for wind loads (IS 875 part 3). You ought to find the codes for your country and work accordingly.
Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back