Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wind tunnel testing for Installed loads 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pressey

Oct 10, 2003
IN
I am testing an 1:15 scaled model aircraft on an wind tunnel at M=1.6 my aim is to find effect of installed loads on Stores.Just want to know the existing methods followed.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

it sounds to me like you want to find the aero loads on external stores ? i think that means that the store attmt to the wing needs to be strain gauged, maybe you can rig a small force balance, but that doesn't sound too practical to me. there shuld be lots of info out there on this, it is a pretty common subject. there's also CFD.

thanks a lot rb1957,i am a working scientist and we have equipments and tunnel to carry out just wanted to check what else is new on this field
thanks again for ur info
cfd we have inhouse code and the results are converging

In addition to direct measurements of store loads in a wind-tunnel (using strain gages as suggested by RB1957), I recommend you navigate to the ASSIST website, and download a copy of MIL-H-8591H entitled "Airborne Stores, Suspension Equipment and Aircraft-Store Interface (Carriage Phase)"

This document has a wealth of information in the appendices on calculating store loads. Maximum store loads experienced(in flight) includes the aerodynamic loads you are trying to measure, the inertia loads resulting from aircraft accelerations, and local loads like preloads on sway braces and hooks - depending on the bomb-rack/pylon selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back