Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Winding connection question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACY

Electrical
Aug 5, 2003
AU
Rewinding a single phase motor. Original winding - run = one in hand (or two in hand), start = one in hand. Replace run with two in hand, and start with two in hand - or one in hand in both, and parrellel connections. Motor contains centrifigul switch, also a motor does not contain a cent. switch.
Once motor is running, could the start windings act as a transformer, due to the parrellel connections? Or could there be any other implications with these windings? We have debated this for sometime, partly due to the fact that when we rewind motors in this way, which i shall add we are hesitant to do, and have had problems in the past with the motor overheating, or just not running. Also - certain motors contain capactitors, weather start - run or both. Reason for winding two in hand, or using parrallel connection - original wire used is too heavy to rewind - not practical.
Any further information req'd, let me know, otherwise i am extremly interested in hearing some thoughts about this. Thanks Adrian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Suggestion: Rewind the single phase motor the way it was wound by the manufacturer. This is supposed to be following the manufacturer engineering and design of the motor. Such motor designs are fine-tuned and most efficient since the manufacturers compete on the very marginal profit market, e.g. General Electric, Baldor, Reliance, etc.

Yes, the motor will not run properly with a TWO IN HAND start winding! Paralleling two wires completes a circuit for current to circulate in! To make it work, not only would you need the start switch, but another switch to break the parallel connection of the starts.

PS
I ran into a similar problem trying to reconnect a two speed two winding motor for low voltage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back