Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Window for pressurized chamber made from laminated glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

battleship81

Mechanical
Aug 4, 2010
US
I need to put a 7"X10" window in a chamber that will experience pressure up to 2 atm gauge. Due to chemical exposure (amines) and high operating temperature (105C+), I have been unsuccessful in finding a transparent plastic that I can use. So i am considering using thicker (.5 in) laminated glass. I am crazy for considering this? If not, where's the best place to look for this kind of glass? Or, is there a transparent plastic that I just haven't heard of that can withstand those conditions?
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

commercial sight glasses are available for those conditions and beyond up to 6" diameter viewing.

square windows are not advisable because of the stress concentrations.

don't have experience w/designing site glasses. some ideas come to mind, though
- engine test cells often have large panes of glass, but with a wire mesh inside
- could you mount a thin pane of glass to the front of transp. plastic, to protect the plastic from chems?

alternatively, thick glass, then thin plastic to catch shards?

or... thin glass, pressurized intermediate space w/inert gas, then thick plastic?

Tempered glass should be fine. Will be thick and will distort view. Agree with hacksaw regarding shape and with IvyMike on his points as well.

In round numbers your talking about a ton of force on your window.

I'm too lazy to look up the appropriate formula and material properties, but my gut tells me the half inch thick isn't thick enough.

Take a look at ASME PVHO. They use windows in pressure vessels for human occupation. Guidance regarding thickness and materials should be found there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back