Window Protection for Fire escape in Residential Building 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob smith

Materials
Jun 12, 2020
US
Hello,
I am a student learning fire sprinklers. We have a project involving a four story building that is existing. They are calling for just sprinklers at the windows for protection near the fire escape. Can I use regular standard fire sprinklers? Each floor consist of 5 windows that will need protection and they are about 8' apart. Sorry for the newbie question just trying to learn the trade and see what everyone's thoughts are on this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good for learning!!!

So is this in the USA?

What kind of class is this,,, Subject/ discipline?????

Is this just a conceptual idea??

Are you placing the sprinklers inside the building or outside the building?

Normally, what you are asking is not done.

Can regular sprinklers be used. I am guessing it is more exposure protection due to the fire escape. And if I can use regular sprinklers I would calculate 3 gpm times the linear footage of separation. Or am I reading that all wrong?

Sorry not exposure protection but egress protection.. There isnt a building next to this one. Just a fire escape and windows next to the fire escape

What kind of class is this,,, Subject/ discipline?????

Is this just a conceptual idea??

Are you placing the sprinklers inside the building or outside the building?

Normally, what you are asking is not done.

Yes just aq conceptual right now. Taking an architectural engineering class at a little technical college and we are going over fire protection.
The idea is to have sprinklers just on the inside. This is a residential building apartments that are existing and they are rehabbing. No other sprinklers around just for the fire escape.

So no other sprinklers will be in the building?

Unless the fire starts very near those sprinklers at the escape,

They are worthless and normally you do not install just a few sprinklers here and there.

Better to retro fit they entire building with fire sprinklers

@cdafd I have seen this required in the Pittsburgh area. And the reasoning I was given: to prevent the glass from blowing out onto somebody trying to use the fire escape?

I would challenge the instructor. All of my responses are based on the 2016 edition of NFPA 13. Based on your description I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Are the sprinklers required because the windows require a fire-resistance rating because if this is the case, see the NFPA 13 requirements for Sprinkler-Protected Glazing. Or is the design attempting to accomplish Exposure Protection?

As a possible designer, you need to learn the importance of RFIs (Request For Information) because if you as the fire sprinkler designer can't figure out what they want, the Architect or Engineer may be attempting to have you to solve their design issue. It's even better for the Architect or Engineer if you do it for free - you get all the liability but none of the profit. If the sprinkler protection is prescribed by a specific Building or Fire Code provision that's adopted by a governmental jurisdiction, you're entering into an area where the work product may require the seal of a Registered Architect or Professional Engineer. In cases like this, a Fire Protection Engineer should be employed to specify a design.

Stookey is dead on. However, as a conceptual question, it may be that the intent is the wall by the exit needs to be a rated wall. The building doesn't require sprinklers for whatever reason. So, how can I get the glass rated without removing and installing rated glass which is ugly and expensive. Tyco WS window sprinklers may be suitable for that theoretical situation. I would not do this in the real world without doing everything that Stookey mentioned above.

Many architects confuse the option of closely spaced sprinklers at atriums for all glass in a building that needs a rating.

Again, all of this is theoretical and I would not do this partial sprinkler system in a real life application.

Travis Mack, SET, CWBSP, RME-G, CFPS
MFP Design, LLC

I agree with the above 100%. This is not the way I would do it. Although, as I stated above, I have seen it required in Pittsburgh a couple times. One attachment shows them being used for a window near a property line (buildings were only a foot or two apart).
1_ihdnia.jpg

The other attachment shows sprinklers protecting windows that are at/near an exterior fire escape.
2_yjc8jp.jpg

Again, not saying I agree with it, but I have seen it required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back