Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP operating system SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsPawn

Electrical
Dec 27, 2002
US
Microsoft released SP3 to the Windows XP operating system on 5/6/2008 which rolls up all critical and security patches since XP released originally. Has anyone allowed Windows XP SP3 to install and if so what issues if any have you experienced, specifically with SW2008?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I installed it Tuesday. No problems with SW 2007 that I've seen. (No, I don't normally trust Microsoft like that, but SP3 is NOTHING like SP2 was--magnitudinally speaking.)

Jeff Mowry
What did you dream? It's all right--we told you what to dream.
--Pink Floyd, Welcome to the Machine

The download did not go well for me. Install failed twice, then BSOD twice. MS patches didn't work so I rolled it back to yesterday and SP2. Who knows what garbage is strewn about my PC now.

Sometimes I wish SW would run on a toaster oven so when the device doesn't work right I could just smash it and buy a new one....

Harold
SW2008 SP3.0 OPW2008 SP0.1 Win XP Pro 2002 SP2
Dell 690, Xeon 5160 @3.00GHz, 3.25GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX4600

CBL, yes I did. I have a licensed copy of XP pro on my machine so I went right to the source for the download. I have never had a problem with MS downloads before to this extent. I read and followed the instructions which are not too complicated. I guess I have the touch.

Harold
nVidia Quadro FX4600

My downloads did fail multiple times on Tuesday when I did the install, but I figured the servers were just packed at the time. Otherwise, no apparent problems with my system.

Jeff Mowry
What did you dream? It's all right--we told you what to dream.
--Pink Floyd, Welcome to the Machine

Working in SW2008 SP3.1 and Windows XP SP3 all day today. No problems at all.

I did the SP install through Microsoft Update in the evening. I suspect any download issues at this time are a results of many, many computers hitting the Microsoft website for the update.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
SW2008 SP3.0, Windows Vista SP1
IBM ThinkPad T61p, T7800, FX570M, 4 gigs of RAM

I did my first download at 7:30AM EST. The problem seems to be during the install when an "Access Denied" warning comes up. Something about write permissions for the update I believe. I followed the prescribed steps to repair that issue, installed the patch posted at the MS site and the BSOD followed. I'm thinking I'll wait until the more vocal Windows users spend time with the MS techs so that more information gets posted. I really don't want to spend another morning online or on the phone updating my PC.

Harold
nVidia Quadro FX4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back