Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windsceen Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

modesign

Automotive
Oct 28, 2003
GB
I am currently working on a windscreen aperture shape. What is the typical adhesive film thickness used by the manufacturer to glue in the screen ? The replacement fitter I spoke to just pushed until the adhesive came out!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No adhesive experience.

One method from the 60s and 70s at least used butyl tape. Available in at least 3 different thicknesses from 1/4 to 3/8 inch. My limited experience is there is not much adjustment if "too thick" tape is used.

Dan T

I have done it myself using silicone and watched pros do it using some black goo from a tube. They did pretty much just push until the goo squeezed out, but the applicator nozzle was precut to a particular diameter, so the volume/inch was sort of controlled. The film ended up being ~2 to 4 mm thick.

... But that was a while ago. I suspect that OEMs try harder to get flush glass now for aero purposes, and I'm not sure how they do it.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

On the production line it is jigged off the surrounding aperture, either using contact sensors or some sort of laser scanner, or else using buttons to provide a defined standoff. Sorry, I don't know exactly what thickness is aimed at, it is important for crash and durability and so on.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Thanks all. I will use buttons as Greg suggested with a film thickness of 3-4mm. I understand that the reason for the thicker film was to stop screen damage from uneven apertures

Cheers,

Sandy

Hope my instructions would help:

The instructions are not for bonded windscreens but are for rubber seals. First, please think of the type of glass you are handeling. If this is toughend glass, it'll take a bit of banging around the edge with the hand which helps when fitting. If it is laminated, then be very careful as one bang in the wrong place will crack it. There are two basic types of rubber seals, first type has a slot to fit the car appature and other slot for the glass to fit in, these are opposite to each other. There will also be another slot for a key rubber. This rubber seal will fit around the car appature first, it can be held in place with masking tape from the car body round the rubber and onto the trim inside. If rubber contains two ends, then make sure these fit together perfectly with some glazing sealant or if you can align the rubber superglue is good. Attempt to fit the bottom corner of the glass into bottom slot of the rubber and push the glass as close to the corner as possible, with a modified screwdriver (eg with all the sharp edges taken of ) begin to work the rubber over the glass carefully around the bottom corners make sure the glass is well down in the slot and then work upward on each side of the glass and then along the top, again if this is toughend glass you can help it in with a few bangs from you hand, if laminated try a little soapy water and let it go in with care. Sealant can be applied around the slots at this stage if required and then a special tool is required to insert the key rubber.

The second type of rubber has a slot that fits the glass and a flange that pulls over the car windscreen appature. This rubber is usualy prejoined. This rubber must be fitted around the glass first, you can use masking tape to secure the rubber as this can be removed as you are fitting. With the rubber fitted to the glass you need some strong thinnish cord or electrical wire or string, the size of picture cord. You want enough to go around the window twice idealy. Insert the cord starting at the bottom centre of the windscreen flange feeding the cord under the flang twice round, have about 2" hanging out at the bottom. Find yourself a friend and lift the windscreen into position against the apature making sure the two string ends are inside the car. Someone needs to be in the car and begin to pull the string and this will pull the rubber flange over the car appature. Try and get the bottom seated, lightly pushing the glass from outside will help, but be carefull because the glass that uses this type of rubber could be laminated, also with the cord twice round the rubber you get two goes at pulling the rubber over the car appature. The glass should be marked in one corner wether it is toughend or laminated.

weighing software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back