Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Winter gears 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

minjim

Civil/Environmental
Aug 5, 2010
US
It's that season where many engineers have to go to their job site in below 0C weather. My question to you guys; where would one look to acquire good quality gloves and clothings that will keep one warm? I'm looking for expert advices here instead of asking my local department store.

I have to mention that I have poor circulation in my hands, and after wearing many gloves in life, I still can't find one that will keep my hands completely warm. I would prefer gloves with a good level of dexterity since I will be writing reports out in the field. Please advise!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A very classic engineering problem with mutually competing requirements, thickness/insulation vs. dexterity.

Unfortunately, the gap between the fingers limits the amount of insulation that can be incorporated in the fingers of a glove.

If you're willing to spend the money, you might look into electrically heated gloves.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Another alternative is to wear mittens over the gloves; they'll minimize the convective cooling around the fingers.

The mittens could be quickly removed when you need to do writing.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Look to hunting, skiing and outdoors stores and military surplus equipment stores rather than department stores.

Hunters in particular have similar needs to keep their hands warm for much of the time and periodically requiring dexterity.

Wearing a thin glove inside a mitten is a good option. There are also combo glove/mittens where the mitten part folds back over the hand to reveal either bare fingers or gloved fingers.

There are also a variety of chemical hand warmer packs available. Some gloves or mittens have pockets to accommodate them.

Carhartts or Cabela's. The cotton carhartt stuff wears out, my nylon jacket is in great shape, 6 or 7 years old. Try the kind of mittens that flip up, with a light or fingerless glove underneath. I used to have some fingerless glove made of boiled (pre-shrunk) rag wool, I think they were made by dachstein in austria. Great till the dog got to them.

I don't think you will find any (non externally heated) gloves that really keep your hands completely warm when you are not actively moving about to keep your body relatively warm and blood circulating. My neoprene type gloves have done a pretty good job of keeping my hands warm and allowing some dexterity, but that's when I'm working outside and moving about. Just standing, they are not any warmer than any other gloves I've had. You would be able to find these at any hunting store or farm/ranch supply store.

...and don't forget the fundamentals: toes & fingers get cold because your body's core is losing heat and it is shutting down circulation to extremeties to keep the blood going to your brain at healthy temperatures.

Layer up properly, and wear a scarf, turtleneck, stocking hat, or cold weather hat as appropriate. And make hot soup part of your daily meal plan.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

Cabelas or Gander Mountain.

I like Mechanix brand gloves for form-fitting gloves that allow one to still use tools. Usually available at auto supply stores.

I have found layers work well with gloves (as well as other clothing). Thin tight cotton gloves, then a layer of "mechanics gloves" or similar from hardware store, then a real insulated winter glove.

I am also a strong believer in mittens being warmer than gloves, so if the last layer (which may need to be removed to write, while keeping other on) is a mitten, great. Or perhaps keep a mitten on the left hand, even if you can't have one on the right.

I think the best gloves/mittens I have found are at skiing/snowboarding stores, but they are also the most expensive.

-- MechEng2005

Depending just how sub zero C and for how long, tygerdawgs comment has a lot of merit.

It's amazing how much warmer a decent hat keeps you.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

You also need to be aware of and comply with all jobsite specific safety rules. Many of the Refineries here in the USA require flame resistant "Nomex" outer gear.

For all the tools I had to carry (Tape measure, level, pencils, plumb bob, knitting needle insulation probe, etc) my wife sent away for Nomex fabric and thread and made me a "Fishing Vest" with lots of pockets. It was large enough to fit over my winter clothes and really made things easy in the field.

I also found "Nomex" gloves online (don't remember where).

Don't forget when you are outside for a long time, your body continues to sweat and your socks and glove liners will become very moist. Change to dry socks and glove liners as needed.

"Gorgeous hair is the best revenge." Ivana Trump

I wear polypropylene (thermal) inner gloves and then whatever outer glove is necessary, mittens or ones with 3 joined fingers preferably. The thermal material supposedly wicks moisture away from your skin, I think that is marketing, more likely it just stops water migrating and your body heat evaporates the stuff in direct contact with your skin.

A heatpack in your pocket is a nice idea.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

All good advice.

My specific recommendation is Duluth Trading Company.

Greg,

Is there a name for the gloves with three fingers together, or can you point me in the right direction to get some?

Here is some info so you can make an informed decision:

There is no ultimate glove that has both warmth and dexterity, otherwise mountaineers would definately know about it.

There are some ice climbing gloves that come close though but these are quite expensive.

As you obviously realise the hands are the most crucial thing to keep warm but it is important to consider the other parts too.

Warm socks with at least 60% wool are very worthwhile as they will keep you warm even if they gat a bit wet (from sweat if nothing else).

20% of your heat will be lost from your head so definately keep it warm particularly your ears.

With regards to your body you should try to do it in layers so they can be vented or shed when you are more active. Converse to what you may think, overheating in these conditions is one of the worst things you can do as the sweat will turn to ice when you cool down.

As far as layers I would recommend an inner layer of polypropylene or simialar thermals and a middle layer of fleece with an outer layer that is windproof such as softshell or goretex type waterproofs. When it is particularly cold and you are inactive then you should consider getting a synthetic down jacket (haevier than real down but will still provide warmth if it gets wet).

Hope this helps, this is thetype of stuff I wear when I go into the mountains overnight at around -10F. Dont get too obsessed by brands the reasonable priced stuff will perform just as well as long as you are not doing any extreme excercise (like climbing a mountain).

I'd also recommend looking at REI or another outdoor/sporting company.

Wells Lamont makes excellent gloves, but I don't think you can buy directly from them. I have a pair of their Thinsulate(TM) 80gram gloves which are warm and highly water resistant. I also recommend a silk or polypropylene inner glove as an extra layer, and can help wick away any moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back