Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wipeout isssues when plotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

11echo

Petroleum
Jun 4, 2002
US
Everytime I plot a drawing that has an area block out with "Wipeout", that area plots out as a black shape ...even when I made PDF files! Looking at the PDF its fine, but when I try plotting the wipeout area prints out as a black shape. There has to be a setting somewhere to eliminate this? Can anybody help me here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure that when you plot that the "Frames" are turned off. Wipeout command, "F" for frames, and select "Off" to turn off before you plot. Also, when you apply a wipeout to your drawing, make sure that the polyline you select is "Erased" by selecting "Yes" to make invisible. It doesn't matter which layer it is on. I set it to the same layer of the object that is applied over the lower object to create the wipeout. Example: a dimension over xref, wipeout is set to the dimensions layer. That way if you turn that layer off, the wipeout will not blankout the area while the dimension layer is turned off.

The other thing to check is that the colour you use for the wipeout is set to white and set to plot as colour in the plot style you are using. I found this happened when white was set to black in the plot style table (stylesmanager from commandline).
Hope that helps

Cheers
Steve Griffiths :)

If you want to make apple pie from scratch, first you must create the universe!

I remember this being a driver issue. We had a lot of problems with it previously. I am sorry, but all of my notes on this were lost on my last computer. Try changing/updating your print drivers, especially if it is working on a pdf, but not a printer.

I can't set the color of the area to white. I agree with jefesdi, I make my wipeout area the same layer as the object. PLUS we use white text, it wouldn't show up!

We had problems with wipeouts plotting blabk, years ago. Was a printer driver issue.

You could avoid using wipeouts and use non-plotting solids. If using ctb plotstyle, set a particular color (pen) to use a screening of 0%, make wipeouts/masking using "solid" command, or a hatch of solid pattern in that color. The solid will need to be "above" everything it's masking, except the text to be displayed.

How does one go about fixing this situation when one receives PDF's from an outside source that has wipeouts in it? I've already tried contacting the source, and they have never had this problem.

I too have experienced this issue when using wipeouts. I am pretty sure it is a driver issue. When plotting directly to ANY of our printers (full size or letter) there is no issue. Using Adobe to create a PDF creates a clean, visible file but as soon as it is printed the wipeouts become black squares. Using "DWG to PDF.pc3" built into 2009 worked for us. However, we never corrected the Adobe print driver issue.

I do like the idea of the penstyle with 0% screening for background masks though. I'll pitch that one to our CAD Trainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back