Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wire bundles traversing a cabinet door hinge

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigelt

Mechanical
Jan 10, 2003
CA
It's so many years ago that I cannot remember, but what is the guideline for the correct orientation of a wire bundle that must cross a hinge axis.
* Typical example, switches on a front panel that is hinged to front of a rack mount shelf.
* The wire bundle can approach the hinge at 90deg (wires are in bending) or run parallel to the hinge line (wires are in torsion) before it crosses.
I knew this in my "circle-bar W" days, but that's a long time back!
Anyone know?
Thanks,
Nigel

"You will master any feeling of inadequacy you may be having"
....from my fortune cookie @ the buffet!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Usually you run them over to the hinge area. Then drop them down and back up in a loop deemed sufficient for the expected service. So torsional is probably what you'd call it.

Sort of like this. In this case, feeding the duct at the bottom made the most sense. The loop is rigidly anchored in two places under the cover so the duct wires don't all move about during door operations. It's also anchored on the door at the tiewraps.

6buulaq.jpg

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

nigelt-
Be advised that wire strand counts can have a dramatic effect on stiffness; the higher the strand counts the more flexibility you'll get. I spec OLFLEX cables and wires in situations like this (OLFLEX has since been bought by another company whose name escapes me...do a GOOGLE on OLFLEX). Likewise, if you have cables needing shielding then a spirally-wrapped foil or a braid is better than a solid cladding. Also, the cable and wire jackets play a big role. HEPALON is a jacket matl that is great for flexing applications. OLFLEX (or similar mfgr) can provide you with fatique data and many different options.

Tunalover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back