Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wire rope end fitting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasker

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2002
IL
hi,
i have to choose wire rope end for 3/16" stailess.
the options are :
1)socket fitting (positive grip) by 2)creating a loop using wire clips (by crosby clips for example)

does anybody knows what method is more reliable?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It really depends on the application of the cable and termination. Can you give us something more substantial to work with?

MadMango
"Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

the cable is mounted at an up side down "U" shape on a pulley .
the purpose is to balance weights (at each end).
the balanced item is arm that slides along mast.

thanks,
Lasker

if you use a socket with a product called 'Wirelock' you should be fine- Wirelock is a two part resin that is 100% efficient - clips are only about 85% efficient -I've used sockets and Wirelock for working loads up to 150,000lbs

How many do you have to do?
If I wanted it really reliable I would put a sleeve on it and crimp it in a press. They do that for chokers on wire rope.

My initial reaction would be to stop at Home Depot and get something I could put on with a screwdriver. (Actually I did this a couple weeks ago and I had to use a nut driver but same idea.)

Tom

I go to a rigging company and order slings with Flemish ends and heavy duty thimbles, specifying the size, material, strand configuration, type and core of the wire rope. Leave nothing to chance especially if safety is a concern. You should also observe standard rope-to-pully size ratios.

Ruble3 is correct w/ the efficiency ratings, however, w/ clips for wire rope less than 3/8" use 75% efficiency. While a minimum of 3 clips is required, I think Crosby will allow 2 clips for the 3/16 th wire rope.
You can also make a Flemish loop at the end of the wire rope and get a 100% efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back