Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Antenna Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlosA

Computer
Sep 21, 2002
MX
Somebody who knows which kind of antenna I could use to
transmit data in a wireless lan across 3 buildings.
I mean I will use an ADSL direct to the wireless access point but the distance between the the source and the client (using wireless PCMCIA cards) is aprox. 492 feet, so what can I do to improve the range.
1)I need to set an antenna only in the building with the access point, just to improve the range?
2)I need an antena in both client and access point buildings

Please some advice about this ......

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You don't say how far apart the 3 buildings are, or how they are arranged. Can you see all 3 within a 120 or 90 degree arc? If so, you can easily obtain what is called a "sector" antenna for the AP. These have from 10 to 16 dBi gain and cost is in the $50 to $150 range.

For the client antennas, I would use a small panel or Yagi in the 10-15 dBi range. These also are in the $50-150 range.

Check out for antenna info.

Thanks for the link!!!

I have another question, I read the article about the pringle antenna so my question is can I use it to improve the range of the signal in the wirelesss access point and not only in the client pcmcia card to my laptop.

This kind of antenna can be used to the tv, radio etc ....????

Thanks

Forgive my ignorance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back