Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Field Transmitter for Offshore Facilites

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokmanhi

Electrical
Sep 28, 2003
AU
Hi,

Appreciate advise if any of the members have experienced installing wireless field equipment,i.e. FT/TT/PT for offshore facilities such as platform , floating storage/ process facilites. Would like to know more details and to propose to project team if cost-effective and reliable. I'm involved in offshore floating unit design and looking for new technology.

Any links for details information on the conceptual and practical installation.?

Thanks a lot

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wireless instrumentation is still in its infancy, but manufacturers are making strides every year. The last time I had a demo of the equipment it was clear the technology was not quite ready yet. This was 2 yrs ago and interference was a major problem, distance as well.

Now if your setting up a wireless system for local (on the rig only) distance shouldnt be an issue. Last I knew line of sight was required. That could be different now.
The potential of such a system would be extremely useful to the instrument world.

I would check Rosemount (Also Emerson Process (
They own rosemount. Find a local rep and they will have the latest and greatest info.

Quote: "Its not what you know, its who you know" - anybody trying to find a decent job
Everyhtings a learning experience-Everything

Rockwell (I think, it was some time ago that they gave the presentation i attended) were working on the concept of battery powered sensors with line of sight short range transmitters. The idea was for the netweork to be "self-configuring" where each sensor acted as a node for those nearest it and retransmitted the data to another sensor nearer to the receiver.

The concept was for low cost throw-away transmitters.

The presentation was to the US Navy.

Another area to investigate is that of utility meter reading where the idea is for "drive by" meter reading.

There is more success transmitting data from intelligent controlers e.g. MODBUS etc and some talk of blue tooth e.g. have a local hardwired network and then wireless transmit the collated data.
I recall Shell successfully testing wireless transmission of MODBUS RTU data from a Solartron flow computer many years ago (and which should now have ethernet capability).

JMW

Wireless should be considered only for:
domestic US projects
monitoring - usually not regulatory control and never safety shutdown.

Instead of an FPSO, wireless seems useful for unmanned facilities that are within short distance line of sight from attended facilities.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back