Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wireless PLC modem Connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiljoy

Electrical
Apr 15, 2003
US
We produce a model of machinery that comes standard with a MicroLogix 1500 and a 9300-RADKIT modem for dial up troubleshooting and support. The modem talks to Comm. 1 via RS232 DF1. The problem is that this machine is sometimes installed outside or far away from a dedicated phone line. The customers usually don’t want to spend the $$ to install a new phone line that far. One customer’s installation is about 900 ft. from a building. They tried running a phone line out to the machine, but it was through a switching system and I kept getting voicemail when I tried to dial it up.
I’m looking for a simple way to put the AB modem on a wireless system. Several venders have pushed Cellular modems, but they have not been PLC tested and we don’t want to be responsible for access charges, etc.
I’d like to take the 9300 modem out of the machine and install it in a building with the required analog phone line. Then, I’d plug the serial out on the modem to a wireless transmitter and then hook the receiver to the PLC on the machine (Comm. 1). Does this sound feasible, and if so, what brand device would you recommend? I’ve found some MaxStream wireless modems in a catalog that look promising. I find it hard to believe that AB pawns this sort of thing off on “Encompass Partners”.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Kiljoy,
A while back I did some research on a similar system for a skid that would be moved around different sites in Nth America.
The trouble with dedicated phone lines, they are very hard to get installed. You can't communicate through a PABX exchange as you have found.
I came to the conclusion that a cellular modem is the way to go, that way you don't have to worry about dealing with the phone company or trying to connect to the clients intranet. It can be checked out before shipping to site.
I found that Coke machines are fitted with cell connection, if it can be done for those it seems a no brainer for a control system, why did it take so long?
I have some information that is probably out of date now.
I will follow this thread with interest.
Regards
Roy

I found an e-mail from our Rockwell supplier, he recommended
Digi Connect WAN VPN GSM an AB Encompass partner.
As controlsdude said Data-Link make great radios, I have used these with Modicon
Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back