Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Regulations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy6

Petroleum
Aug 25, 2005
CA
My company is currently developing Wireless systems that can be applied in the Petroleum industry.

I am wondering what regulations must be taken into account when designing sensors and such things.

Such things as if and when the wireless system needs to be shut down for whatever reason, what regulations does the transmissions have to comply, physical enclosures, and any regulations in this area.

If you know of any regulations or resources that I can find these regulations it would be of major benefit.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many platfrom in the North Sea use headset radios for all teh drill crew nowadays- I'll check with our Area Authroity what regulations our radios comply with.

We use the Institute of Petrileums code for hazardous areas classification -IP 15- there might be something in that about allowable levels of radio energy.

When I started in the drilling indusrty, we'd have to shut down all radio transmissions when we were loading & running perforating guns, but now there's been a lot of work done in perforation equipment, so I don't think that's a factor any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back