Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

wiring a start/stop on a pump through to the mcc

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthbrown

Electrical
Nov 11, 2011
GB
How do you wire a start/stop button on a pump?
I have designated cabling from the DCS/ESD cabinets through the to MCC for the signals, but Im assuming this start/stop is a hard wired switch on the pump.
The kit is situated about 200m away from the Substation which houses the MCC. Do I run the signal through a marshalling junction box (using a communal marshalling box for all the pumps in a certain area), or straight to the MCC from the pump?
Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

but Im assuming this start/stop is a hard wired switch on the pump

Once you figure out where the control station is, let us know.

You might think about what actually starts and stops the motor.

I am interested in knowing how you finally resolved this issue. I will expect all signals to the pump to be via the MCC. Even when you want a local push button near the pump, it still has to connect to the pump via the MCC. Electrical emergency switch is provided near the pump for cutting off electrical power to the pump but this doesn't fall within the Instrument scope. You can decide to connect your Start/Stop signal from the DCS to the MCC through either hardwire or software depending on criticality,

Things change. Separate contacts, DCS and SIS signals may apply. Different companies split the control responsibilities. Some SIS bypass functions may be permitted with continuoun alarm and regular refreshment. Industry requirements frequently vary. Advise the process and some may advise proper guidelines. An old pneumatic plant likely excludes some current requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back