Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wiring an Electric Motor in Star and Delta

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcodC

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2007
ZA
Hi Gents,

Unfortunately, I'm not clued up on the electrical side of things and need some help refreshing my memory.

Can anyone explain to me from a practical point of view on how to wire up an electric motor in Star and Delta?
The motor has 6 terminal points...3 and 3 in parallel.

Thanks people.

Regrads,

Marco.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MarcodC,
Having 6 leads in the motor can mean a number of different things. With you admittedly not being aware of motor connections, it would be inadvisable for you to rely upon tips received here, we are not substitutes for doing things correctly. You really should have an EE or at least an electrician with motor knowledge look at it for you.

Hello Marcodc,

The First to do is Check the leads labeling, if your motor is manufactured in U.S the leads are labelled with numbers from 1 to 6.For star delta starting you need connect the leads 1 to 6 , 2 to 4 and 3 to 5,by contactors . If the motor is manufactured by IEC satndard the leads are labelled like U1(1),V1(2),W1(3),U2(4),V2(5) and W2(6).

For explanation and diagrams go to
Regards

Petronila

Assuming it is a Star-Delta starting situation and not a 2 speed motor, or a dual voltage motor etc. etc. etc. That's the problem I was mentioning.

Thanks for your input guys.
I'll be contacting our electric motor supplier for assistance.
Going to request for their Operation and Instruction Manual to get it right the first time.
I agree with jraef. I think it's best to speak to the experts.

I'll keep you guys updated with my success.
Thanks again.
Best Regards,
Marco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back